Solutions for Practice Administrators
Healthcare Professionals Trust Us to Protect Them. We Take That Job Seriously.
Over 45 years, nearly one million professionals have entrusted us with their ability to work, protect income, and defend malpractice claims.
Our efforts to honor that trust have been rewarded with the highest retention rate in the industry.
We’re serious about delivering on promises.
Protect everyone with one simple, safe choice.
MGIS covers the potential impacts of professional disability and liability—from personal and business financial risks to professional liability and reputation defense.
You can provide the time-tested specialized solutions that better protect income, work style, and retirement while eliminating service and administrative headaches for yourself. It’s that easy.
We were pretty sure we had thought of almost everything.
We included everything we believed a medical professional would expect in their disability coverage.
So we tried it on nearly one million customers. They pretty much agreed. Overwhelmingly.
With MGIS/Sun Life, you know you are choosing an acknowledged leader in medical professional group benefits. Our solutions include:
- Strong group disability insurance solutions specifically tailored for medical groups
- White glove service
- Specialized claims handling
- A+ financial strength as rated by A.M. Best
Protect Your Practice
That bright light at the end of the tunnel? Let’s call it healthcare reform.
Whether you picture it as long overdue or the oncoming train, it is impacting your practice from top to bottom. Amid all this uncertainty, the need for physicians to protect their income remains constant. We can help.
As an administrator, one of your many objectives is to prepare your organization for success in this new environment. Let us help you add a constant to the mix: knowing your physicians and group members are backed by coverage that will be there when you need it.
Keep It Simple
If you’re thinking that group LTD coverage is too expensive and too complicated to buy, think again.
- This coverage is typically a fraction of the cost of comparable individual disability (IDI) coverage.
- Because most group plans can qualify for “guaranteed issue,” which means no medical questions or examinations are required, it is easy to buy and your physicians cannot be declined.
- Your physicians can supplement their individual disability insurance with Group LTD coverage. Layering LTD coverage on top of an individual disability plan with no offset or coordination of benefits can maximize monthly disability income protection.
Specialized Claims Expertise
We are with you. Especially when you need us.
We can talk about the strength of the MGIS/Sun Life group LTD contract or service excellence until we’re blue in the face. At the end of the day, what matters most is how your physicians will be treated at claim time. That’s why with MGIS/Sun Life, all customers receive a universal claims promise.
Our claim team members:
- Treat claimants with empathy and respect
- Act with integrity
- Apply the same claims review standards every time
- Make prompt payment of all eligible claims
- Provide clear and concise communication
- Focus on customer needs
Sun Life Financial provides MGIS with a dedicated Disability Claims Center fully staffed with claims professionals knowledgeable about the specialized needs of physician groups. This center—along with an MGIS liaison—ensures a hassle-free claims experience. No administrative headaches and no runaround. No kidding.
Our claims management system is designed for speed and efficiency.
Through a totally paperless environment, up-to-date claims information is instantly available to anyone who needs to work on a claim, so we can always provide timely, relevant answers for customers.
A built-in workflow system and automated correspondence ensure timely follow-ups on all claims, which leads to faster claims decisions.
The MGIS/Sun Life Difference
Peek under the hood of other LTD group policies and take a close look. You’ll see that not all Group LTD plans can handle the road ahead.
- Some policies will force physicians to accept retraining, work part-time, perform some of their duties or work to their “maximum capacity.”
- Some group LTD carriers may terminate benefits if a physician moves outside the United States.
- With some policies, disabilities related to mental/nervous, substance abuse or “self-reported” conditions might be limited to 24 months in a physician’s entire lifetime.
- A physician’s experience at claim time is dictated by the subjectivity of the Group LTD policy and the expertise of the carrier’s claims personnel.
As practice administrator, know how your policy works and how it will hold up when you need it most.
Complete Physician Protection Program
At MGIS and Sun Life, we believe that your Group LTD coverage should offer more than a monthly benefit check.
Among other things, it should:
- Define material duties as the specific procedures your physicians perform in their practices.
- Provide retirement funding, cover ongoing business overhead expenses, and provide income replacement even after physicians return to work.
You can count on group LTD coverage from MGIS/Sun Life to deliver the protection your physicians expect … protection for their incomes, businesses, retirements and livelihoods.
Group life and disability insurance policies are underwritten by Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada (Wellesley Hills, MA) in all states, except New York, under Policy Form Series 93P-LH, 98P-ADD, 01C-LH-PT, 12-GP-01, and 12-DI-C-01. In New York, group life and disability insurance policies are underwritten by Sun Life and Health Insurance Company (U.S.) (Windsor, CT) under Policy Form Series 13-GP-LH-01, 13-LTD-C-01-MGIS, 13-STD-C-01-MGIS, 13-STD-C-01-MGIS, 13-LF-C-01-MGIS. The disability policies provide disability income insurance only. They do NOT provide basic hospital, basic medical, or major medical insurance as defined by the New York State Insurance Department.
Administration for physician products is provided by Medical Group Insurance Services, Inc. (MGIS), in all states, except as follows: in CA by MGIS Insurance Agency, Inc; in NY by MGIS Insurance Agency; in NC by Insurance Administration, Inc., d/b/a MGIS NC. Product offerings may not be available in all states and may vary depending on state laws and regulations.
We’ve got your back. And your front.
According to the AMA, more than 60% of doctors over the age of 55 have been sued at least once.* You are dealing with a when-not-if type risk proposition.
That’s why you need an A+ team behind you—or, better yet, surrounding you. It’s not a time for surprises, technicalities or delays.
With MGIS your A+ team includes:
- Highly competitive rates for premier coverage features
- Premier local malpractice defense attorneys
- A+ Financial strength backing your coverage
- Key coverage features: claims-made form, consent-to-settle, prior-acts coverage, separate defense cost coverage
- Rich set of added features
The Best for The Best
Our approach is simple:
- We work with the best physicians, so we can offer the best coverage at highly competitive prices. It’s like flying first class for coach price.
- You get premier, full-featured coverage on A+ paper backed by one of the largest, most solid insurance carriers in the world at a price that will surprise you.
Premier Local Defense
Successful courtroom defense is the ultimate test of your malpractice policy’s value.
Our defense panel includes the country’s premier local defense attorneys with proven medical-professional liability expertise.
Because defense costs can quickly mount, we’ve designed your coverage so that these costs are covered in addition to stated policy limits (see policy for specific coverage amounts and limits).
No need to worry about legal costs diminishing coverage limits and increasing risk.
A+ Financial Strength
Your financial risk is backed by one of the largest and strongest insurance companies in the world.
Why gamble with small, thinly capitalized carriers when you can have A+ financial strength at highly competitive prices?
We partner with Freedom Specialty Insurance Company®, a Nationwide Insurance® Company with an A.M. Best Rating of A+ (Superior), FSC XV, because we also like working with the best.
Key features of our comprehensive coverage include:
- Claims-Made Incident Sensitive Form
- Full consent-to-settle
- Full Prior Acts coverage available to eligible risks
- Supplemental trial expense coverage (outside the limits of liability) of $500 per day, up to $10,000 included
- Separate limit of liability can be provided for group practice submissions comprised of two or more physician
Additionally, we include special treatment for locum tenens, professional committee, Good Samaritan and many other coverages important to leading physicians—most at no additional cost to you.
Striking a balance may seem tricky.
As an administrator involved with coverage purchasing decisions, you’re faced with a balancing act.
You must meet the needs for cost savings while obtaining adequate coverage. Tricky business, for sure. And risky business if the wrong choice leads to inadequate coverage and a hard landing for your practice and possibly your career.
You can be confident that MGIS provides you and your professionals with the time-tested, expert solutions that better protect their incomes, work styles and retirement goals. And you can rest easy knowing that we can eliminate service and administrative headaches for you.
MGIS bullet-proof service and specialized claims handling lead to happy employees and eliminate administrative worries.
Your MGIS team is ready to assist and support you and your team in growing your business in this unique and specialized sector of the industry.
To give physician groups reassurance that claims will be taken care of properly, we offer service guarantees that cover:
- Claims turnaround time
- Financial accuracy
- Response time to phone calls
If we do not meet these service standards while the contract is in effect, the policyholder is given a payment—calculated as a percentage of the policyholder’s annual premium, up to 3%.
It’s just another way we demonstrate our commitment to providing outstanding service.
Trust us. The numbers don’t lie.
For 45 years MGIS has provided specialized group disability insurance, medical-professional liability insurance and practice improvement ancillary products and services to more than 10,000 physician groups and 300,000 physicians nationwide.
With close to one million clients served—and the industry’s highest loyalty rate of over 90%—MGIS is a brand you can trust.
Buying Without a Net
Don’t try this at home. Trust a professional. We’ve got a net.
Affordability is important when purchasing insurance. But lowest price is not always the best solution. In fact, usually not.
Read this case study to discover some of the key price/value tradeoffs to consider when purchasing long-term disability protection. One misstep can cause a nasty fall without the proper net.